Interview: Multiplayer bietet nichts Neues?

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Interview: Multiplayer bietet nichts Neues?

Der folgende Ausschnitt stammt aus einem Interview
      mit Dustin Browder, dem Lead Designer von StarCraft II.

Fragestellung und Antwort auf Englisch
      Again, one of the very few complaints I’ve heard about StarCraft II, but one that I’ve heard repeated over and over, is that the multiplayer is too iterative, too similar to the original game. It seems to me that given the first game’s popularity as a competitive multiplayer title, you were kind of stuck needing to emulate that success rather than experiment with something new. Was there ever any frustration with designing the multiplayer? Did you ever discuss trying something wildly new or different, or did you know from the beginning that you had to stick to this formula that was so insanely successful?

There’s challenges, so there’s certainly frustrations in trying to create really great new content given how great the first game was. To make something worthy of that was really a challenge. I don’t know that we ever felt like we couldn’t do something new if we really wanted to. It was more a question of what did we want to do, and we felt like there was more we could do in this space, that there was more opportunity for us to improve on what had already been done.

Certainly, there was a lot of fear that we couldn’t. “You’re going to try to make the old one better? There’s no way!” That was a concern that we had internally. But we tried to get some courage and pull up our boots and push to see if we could actually improve on greatness and make it even better. I don’t know if we have or not. I don’t want to speak for it. It’s still out there. The meta-game is still settling down. We’re still seeing lots of players playing. We’re seeing lots of great tournaments right now. We’re seeing a reasonably diverse number of players across all levels of play, playing all three races. I’m certainly hopeful that we’ve been able to improve on greatness and make a game that’s even better.

I don’t want to seem nasty here, but the question is, how great have those successful “experiments” from other developers been? I haven’t really seen another gameplay experience that’s attracted millions of players with hundreds of thousands playing online. I haven’t seen that. So the idea that these other experiments have been successful, and therefore we must emulate them? I object, sir. I object strenuously. I have not seen someone else be successful by removing economy. I have not seen other RTSes be successful by removing micro.

What a lot of other games have done is they’ll pull the camera back and say, “Look, it’s all economy now.” Or they’ll push the camera in and say, “It’s all micro; economy’s dead.” And they’ll say, “See! We’ve made it better!” I have to strongly disagree. I definitely enjoy those games, but I don’t know that they’re ultimately a better competitive RTS experience. They’re different, and that difference has a value in the sense that for the three weeks that I’m playing it, it feels new and shiny. But then when I get down to it, I realize that there’s actually less to do. I don’t play it for weeks or months.

I don’t know if StarCraft II can survive that test of time. I don’t want to say that we can. We’re certainly going to try. That’s what we set out to do in the first place, to definitely improve on what had already been there and not just change for the sake of change. Like I said, I don’t want to be a jerk, but I feel like a lot of other studios have changed just for the sake of change. They haven’t made a better product, they’ve just made a product that is different.

Zusammenfassung der Fragestellung:
      Es gibt Kritiker, die sagen, dass der Mehrspieler-Modus zu sehr an den Vorgänger angelehnt ist. Es gibt keine neuen Einflüsse oder grundlegende Änderungen.
      Wo liegen die Gründe? Wollte man an den alten Erfolg anknüpfen oder wurde befürchtet, dass Veränderungen nicht bei den Spielern ankommen?

Zusammenfassung der Antwort:
      Wir haben viel in dieser Richtung überlegt und sahen mehr Chancen darin, das vorhandene Konzept erfolgreich auszubauen als ein neues zu entwickeln.
      Es gab selbstveständlich auch die Befürchtung, dass wir es nicht schaffen eine Verbesserung zu entwickeln, sogar Stimmen die sagten es wäre nicht möglich.
      Ein anderer Grund war auch, dass wir bei keinem anderen Spiel einen Erfolg durch die Abschaffung des Bewährten beobachtet hatten durch die Implementierung eines neuen, experimentellen Systems.
      Ich weiß nicht, ob StarCraft II den Test der Zeit bestehen kann. Fest steht, wir wollen nicht damit beginnen das Spiel zu ändern um der Änderung willen. Ich denke manch andere Studios haben genau dies gemacht. Sie haben aber nicht ein besseres, sondern nur ein anderes Produkt damit geschaffen.
      (Ich hoffe die einzelnen Aussagen von Dustin Browder sinngemäß dargestellt zu haben ^^)

Was sagen die alten Hasen unter uns dazu? Hat das Entwickler-Team es geschafft, dass Bewährte Konzept aus StarCraft: BW weiterzuentwickeln in etwas gleichwertiges oder besseres? Wäre ein neues System nicht auch wünschenswert gewesen, allein um zu sehen, ob Blizzard etwas noch besseres schaffen kann?
      Was denken die Quereinsteiger: Gabs Probleme durch die fehlende Vorkenntnis? Fühlte man sich stark benachteiligt gegenüber jenen, die den Vorgänger gespielt haben?

Komplettes Interview auf gameinformer.com
    • ramius schrieb:

Fest steht, wir wollen nicht damit beginnen das Spiel zu ändern um der Änderung willen

so schauts aus!

ich als neueinsteiger im SC-multiplayer-universum hatte eig. keine probleme. die paar male, als ich sc I gespielt hab sind eh schon zu lange her, als das ich noch was wüsste (außer z. B. was schwere kreuzer sind :> )

wenn unbedingt was neues her muss, würd ich das in nem neuen projekt verwirklichen und nicht das SC universum als versuchkaninchen herhalten lassen.

//2 fails beim versuch universum zu schreiben :(

Edit2: imo hat man auch keine nachteile neueinsteier zu sein. die problematik wird ja ganz gut gelöst, z. b. mit den probespielen.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von ProudBavarian ()

it ain't nothing but a peanut
    • Benutzer online 1

1 Besucher