TI5 Caster + more announced

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• ein ld blog post

Spoiler anzeigen
      But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
      I have spread my dreams under your feet;
      Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
      -W.B. Yeats

A Different Time

I never expected to cast at The International. Back in 2012, when I first sunk my teeth into commentary, it was only ever a hobby to me. I had a full-time job, friends/family and a life in Philadelphia.

I did it for fun, I did it for love of the game, and I never expected anything more than that. I relished the opportunity to share my love of DOTA with fans around the world, and I was happy.

Everything changed for me at the International 2012. Was it luck? Fate? Hard work? Some strange combination? Something else entirely? It's hard for me to say. Whatever it was, I was invited to cast the main event. I had never worked a live esports event in my life. Hell, my only real experience with public speaking was running for class president in my freshman year of high school. My hands shook so badly I could hardly read the speech I had written. (Needless to say, I didn't win.)

Suddenly, I'm on stage in Benaroya Hall before a crowd of 2000+ with millions watching around the world barely 6 months after I began my casting journey. At the time, my Twitter following was a mere fraction of pretty much every other person working the event. I was beyond terrified. But I had worked my ass off to get there, studied the teams day and night since the invite, and together with Lumi I was determined to show the world what we could do. I'd like to think we did.

Since that fateful week three years ago, the DOTA landscape has changed in ways that none of us could have possibly imagined back then. Beloved teams rose and fell like ancient empires. Legendary players have retired, gotten married, left DOTA entirely, and returned in search of former glory.

For commentators and other on-camera talent, much has changed as well.

A Shift in the Landscape

TI4 marked a watershed moment in Valve's approach to talent and production staff. At TI2, we had a 4 person desk, 3 teams of 2 commentators, and a few interviewers. That was it. At TI3, Valve introduced a floor reporter with Kaci Aitchinson, but otherwise everything remained more or less the same. But at TI4, they expanded the invites and their overall approach to coverage dramatically. For the first time ever, commentators were brought to Seattle for the group stage. Casters who had never worked a live event before were thrown in front of a microphone / camera for the first time. Hell, we even had dedicated observers!

It wasn't the smoothest process, and perhaps some of the people who were invited last year were out of their element. Still, at long last I felt like Valve 'got' it. You see, over the two years since I was invited to work TI2, the scene had changed. Commentators who had a certain following were no longer just casting a few hours here for fun, as a hobby, for love of the game. By that point, they were all chasing the dream. The game had grown, and with it they saw opportunities to build lives and careers for themselves doing what they truly loved.

By expanding the list of people invited to work the event, by including workshop creators more with the event, I felt like Valve was finally starting to understand that TI shouldn't be just about running an awesome event for the fans, that it shouldn't just be about rewarding players, but that it should be about rewarding EVERYONE who contributes to this game we all love.

Long Days and Longer Nights

There is a small list of established talent who have worked enough large events and built up personal followings to the point that they generally don't worry too much about getting invited to work TI. Nothing is EVER guaranteed in this world, and I don't think anybody takes for granted that they will be invited back. But for those established people, even not getting invited to TI isn't the end of the world. They have other opportunities to fall back on, be it casting gigs, sponsorships, personal streaming, or for some even a shot to play competitively again.

For pretty much everyone else, there is virtually nothing BUT worry. I can't even begin to tell you how much stress most up and coming casters/hosts/analysts are under from ~April through June. An invite to work TI can make a career, and a snub can just as easily break one. Younger casters sometimes have the luxury of living at home or attending university, in which case they may be able to reset and try again next year. But many people don't. They have bills to pay, families to feed, and in many cases not being invited can mean having to give up the dream in favor of a more stable path.

You see, for casters, there are no open qualifiers. There are no second chances. If you don't get invited to work TI, better luck next year. So after a year of crazy hours, little sleep, and a whole lot of flame, these people line up and wait for Valve to be their judge, jury, and executioner. The process is especially brutal because just like team invites (and perhaps most things Valve), it's a total black box. Nobody knows why they were chosen, and for those who don't make the cut or get their preferred assignment, there is no direct appeals process.

Of course, you can always speculate, and that's what those who aren't invited are reduced to doing. Was that one off-color joke a dealbreaker? Did I offend someone at Valve in a Tweet? Should I have cast more games? Was I not funny enough? Did I get one too many Reddit hate threads? You just don't know.

Now, TI invites aren't the only place where this dynamic exists. Look at movie/theatre auditions for example. People who don't get the gig generally are just told that and nothing more. In interviews and director's commentary, you may very occasionally be able to glean bits and pieces of why certain people were chosen and why others didn't make the cut, but that's quite rare and usually happens only long after the fact anyway.

DOTA is different in one important respect though. In cinema and theatre, there are lots of big-budget films and productions. There isn't one singular opportunity that is massively more important than all others in those arenas, but in DOTA, there is TI. Just as TI is *the* event for players, so it is *the* event for folks who work on shows full-time.

Unleash the hounds

Anyways, fast-forward to the TI hub this year. Rumors were circulating that Valve was cutting down on the list of talent. Supposedly, they wanted to trim the fat and reduce the number of people invited to work the event, and everyone was panicking. People were speculating where Valve would draw the line. Casters are a gossipy bunch, and everybody was talking.

Me, I reserved judgement. Rumors abound in our line of work, and more often than not in my experience they've turned out to be unfounded or exaggerated if not entirely false, especially when they come to a company as enigmatic as Valve. I still remember after TI3 when the vast majority of players and casters were 100% convinced that TI4 would be the last International ever. (Yeah, about that…)

Over the past week, the invites have quietly gone out. Last year, talent were allowed to announce their invites as soon as they got them, but this year Valve asked pretty much everyone to keep them quiet until they got the official go-ahead. When I heard about the change, I assumed it was because Valve wanted to avoid the drama and stress everybody went through last year and just do a single official announcement revealing all the event talent at once.

Boy was I wrong.

Today the floodgates opened, and the announcements of invites poured out. For those who had heard about Valve's request, most assumed that invites were finished and that everyone who was going to be invited would be. In stark contrast to how most events handle talent and production staff announcements (ESL One, the Summit, Starladder, Dreamleague, etc) and how Valve itself handles team invites, they didn't say or publish a single thing publicly.

After a few hours, the community naturally begins to speculate. "Was Draskyl invited, or is Dad still sleeping?" "Is this the year LD doesn't get to work TI?" "Where’s KOTLGUY?" “Who’s hosting the desk at TI5?” "WHY AREN'T THEY TWEETING YET?!" For every second the average fan spends wondering, the talent who haven't heard from Valve yet spend hours clawing their eyes out with anxiety and frustration. I know because many close friends went through it last year, and more still endured it this year.

Not knowing is the most painful

I won't deny there are certain cold and hard realities about this line of work, and anyone who signs up for it generally does so knowing exactly what they are getting themselves into. The line always has to be drawn somewhere for casters, just as it does for team invites for the main event and qualifiers. This is an inherently competitive industry, and that means somebody's going to be left out.

Still, it's painful to bear witness. I was suffering in silence today, wondering if some of the more borderline candidates would make the cut. Contrary to what the community usually sees, the casting community is for the most part a tight-knit group of kindred spirits, especially over the past year. Studios and organizers may have their rivalries, and occasionally you'll see a public spat between well-known personalities, but those are small fry in the big picture.

I thought of Pimpmuckl, who went from a relatively unknown caster to a world-class observer since DotaPit began. Kpoptosis, the author of the Antimage diaries and inventor of the now prolific fight recap. Maut, the voice of North American Dota and a dear friend who's been grinding for years now. Blaze, a caster who covered more games than almost ANYONE over the past year and a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge about teams' playstyles. Basskip, one of the few commentators who truly knows the SEA and Chinese scene beyond the few big dogs. Durka, who's quietly been grinding for joinDOTA at the home offices in Berlin while Cap/Blitz/Toby were away at the big events. Shane, the best damn sidekick on any panel. SUNSfan, a comedy act with some of the most devoted fans in the scene and driving force behind the biggest DOTA 2 Youtube Channel in the world. Xyclopz, for me the funniest DOTA caster who’s ever picked up a mic.

KOTLGuy

To be honest, I expected Valve to do it like last year. I expected a wide net, and the vast majority of deserving talent to make the cut. I wasn't even considering the possibility that KOTLGuy might not be invited. This guy is the real deal. Absolutely committed to what he does, a trained actor who's more natural on camera than anyone else I've ever seen in eSports, and one of the most professional commentators I've had the pleasure to work with.

Dakota spends more time preparing for one cast than some casters do watching competitive DOTA the rest of the year. When just about everybody else was having fun playing Mafia and Mario Kart at the TI Hub, Dakota was taking notes and researching for his next cast. When he started with BTS, he had roughly 3-5k followers. In less than a year, he's climbed to 15k, and I can only imagine how high he'll soar over the next two years. To me, he was a shoe-in.

But then he didn't get the invite, and I started to get angry. I thought back on all the sacrifices Dakota had made over the past year for this game. Quitting his old job, moving across the country to work full-time in California, having to be separated from his wife and family in New York all the while. Tackling pretty much any region we threw at him, researching teams day and night, taking meticulous notes, burning the midnight oil to cover Chinese/SEA Dota when it was asked of him. It wasn't always easy, and he's certainly not a saint. He cursed and vented and let off steam like the rest of us, but Dakota kept at it and never stopped hustling.

Need for Change

Originally, this blog was going to be about KOTLGuy and how it's a crying shame that he wasn't invited to TI. Fortunately, for him, there's a happy ending. Since TI4, he grew and built his reputation enough that Reddit got angry when they found out he wasn't invited, and I can only imagine that Valve saw that outcry and realized they had made a mistake.

Over the past few years, we've seen increased efforts from Valve to find ways to reward people who contribute to and help grow the game. At past TIs, top workshop contributors were flown out to Seattle. This year, anybody who's EVER been attached to a workshop item that got published gets a chance to attend the event.

Still, there are talented and dedicated folks working both on- and off-camera who were really close but didn’t quite make the cut. For those people, right now there is nothing. There's no rewards program, there's not even a friendly "thanks for everything you do for DOTA 2 the rest of the year." There's no acknowledgement of their hard work. Nothing but the stress of praying Icefrog just hasn’t gotten around to you yet, followed by the eventual crushing realization that all the invites are finished and you aren't invited to TI this year.

Personally, I'd like to see a little more compassion from Valve. I'd like to see the honorable mentions, some basic acknowledgement for people who were really close to making it but didn't quite get there. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and not everybody can be invited. But even if these folks who were so close can't be invited to work the event, can't they at least be offered a VIP ticket (if not a hotel room and a flight)? Haven't they earned at least that much for their hundreds, sometimes even thousands of hours of sacrifice?

At a bare minimum, can we please get a formal news post announcing talent invites? Why should talent be left playing the guessing game for days or even weeks? While I'm sure there is no malicious intent, the system is downright cruel the way it works now.

Why the silence

Many of you have been wondering if I was invited to TI and, if so, why I wasn't announcing it. Three years ago, I jumped with joy and posted the second I got the good news. I was nothing but smiles for an unexpected blessing and opportunity.

This year, I announce with a heavier heart. Yes, I was invited to work TI. I didn’t announce it right away because I didn’t feel right celebrating my own invite while other deserving people were left out in the cold. Rather than trumpet my own invite, I wanted to take this opportunity to speak out on behalf of those who I feel are getting a raw deal.

In closing, I still see quite a few uninvited folks that deserve the opportunity to work at TI, and others still who deserve at least a pat on the back, some kind words and encouragement. It's not too late for you guys as a community to advocate for those folks publicly, just like you did for KOTLGuy.

Even if Valve won't acknowledge them, we as a community still can. Please have some compassion and show those folks who weren't invited your love; this truly is the hardest time of year.

tldr: Gibt mehr Talent als Valve einladen kann, 1 sadness und 1 mitleid dafür
      valve soll das doch bitte transparenter machen, weil es für die leute abgefuckt ist, wie es im moment gehandled wird
      außerdem sollen leute die viel für dota2 getan haben, aber nicht invited werden, wenigstens ein trostpflaster kriegen

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von myplaren ()

and combined with this image of what we should be doing there comes the inability to read or appreciate anybody who does something entirely different.
      MATLOK siGNAtuRtriGGer
    • Er spricht viel über die Leute die nicht eingeladen wurden und das Valve die Liste verkleinern wollte (ein letztlich unwahres Gerücht), weshalb er aus Respekt erst einmal gewartet hat bis er seine Einladung bekannt gemacht hat, versucht aufzuzeigen wie schwer es viele haben und wie manche die so viel geleistet haben nicht eingeladen wurden. Er verspürt eine gewisse Trauer aber auch etwas Wut, weil manche nicht eingeladen wurden die es verdient hätten, während wieder andere weniger für die Szene geleistet hätten.

Bisschen Geweine, aber man kann schon mitfühlen. Stress etc.
      'Maturity,' father had slowly begun,'
      Is knowing you're wrong and accepting it, son.
      There's prudence in pausing with patience and joy -
      And hearing the wisdom in others, my boy.
      'A person's perspective,' he said with a smile,
      'Is plain if you walk in their shoes for a while.
      And if you can do it - if maybe you do -
      You might understand, and agree that it's true.'
      I followed his reasons, and nodded, polite;
      Perhaps that was logic - perhaps he was right.
      Perhaps there was truth in his claim all along...
      'I'm twenty,' I countered: 'I'm right, and you're wrong.'
    • Er hat sich primär für KotlGuy ausgesprochen und auch für andere, die nicht eingeladen wurden, bevor er wie alle anderen auf Twitter herumtrompetet, dass er eingeladen wurde. Er wünscht sich ein bisschen mehr Dankbarkeit, nicht unbedingt in Form von einem TI Invite, von Valve für die Menschen die ihr Herzblut für Dota 2 geben.

LD schreibt sehr gut. Sein Blogpost ist super zu lesen und er hat auch den richtigen Schreibflow, in welchem er Spannung aufbauen und Mitgefühl erregen kann. Von der Rhetorik mit das Beste, was die Dotaszene zu bieten hat. Wenn man danach einen Blogpost von EE liest, weiß man erst was gutes Englisch ist.
    • Matlok schrieb:

Viele haben sich auf Twitter für Pimpmuckl ausgesprochen. Das wenige was ich über ihn gehört habe war schlecht, was ich von ihm gehört habe so gut wie nicht existent.
      unglaublicher spasti und weniger dotaknowledge als der Dotasource Durchschnitt
    • niemand will pimpmuckl casten hören. Als observer ist er halt wirklich sehr gut, da wollen ihn die Leute.

Joa, LD invite noch okay, hauptsache kein Ayesee. Werde ihn dennoch muten.

Und JPS: Sheever hat sich gemacht, jedoch gibt es genug Leute, die das Event / den Analyst Desk besser richtig hosten könnten. Vergleich doch mal Dreamleague mit ESL One. DL von Sheever gehosted meist, während die ESL One von Chobra gemacht worden ist. Das sind Welten unterschied.
      Kouhai in the streets, senpai in the sheets
    • Finde es zwar auch etwas realitätsfremd was Bighead sagt, aber wenn du dir mal anschaust, wie viel Geld im Pricepool dazu gekommen ist und dir vor Augen hältst, dass Valve das Dreifache an purem Gewinn für vergleichsweise wenig Gegenleistung einfährt, dann wäre das imo schon drin.
      Der contributed Preispool liegt im Moment, bei über 13 Mio. Das macht fast 50 Mio, die Valve alleine mit dem Kompendium eingefahren hat.
      Abgesehen davon kann ich mir gut vorstellen, dass die nächstes Jahr einfach dafür einen Communityvote einbauen. Wäre ziemlich genau Valveprinzip^^
    • Sagen wir mal extrem großzügig, dass es $10.000 kostet, jemanden einzufliegen usw, dann können sie ganz entspannt 50 verdiente Mitglieder ranholen. Dazu kannst du noch rechnen, dass ein Teil davon aus den USA kommt und der Flug statt tausenden nur ein paar hundert Dollar kosten wird usw. Du kannst sie ja auch in preiswerten Hotels unterbringen, die 30 Minuten von allem weg sind, macht es nochmal billiger und sie werden sich wohl kaum beschweren solange das alles gut organisiert ist.

Auf der anderen Seite hat Valve nicht viel davon, Leute engagieren sich, weil sie Spaß daran haben oder aus welchen Gründen auch immer, aber sicherlich nicht nur, um dann eingeladen zu werden. Selbst wenn welche abspringen weil sie nicht eingeladen wurden werden andere deren Platz einnehmen, ich denke also nicht, dass ohne einen gescheiten reddit-shitstorm irgendetwas passieren wird.
      Let's Play: CK2, Patrizier 2, Anno 1800
    • Man kann ja auch kleinere Brötchen backen.

Die Trabantenszene muss sich aber auch bisschen klar werden, dass sie keine Valve-Angestellten sind und es keine Autoinvites gibt, nur weil man sich anstrengt. Wenn der Karriereplan nur aufgeht, wenn man zum TI darf, liegt der Fehler nicht bei Valve.
      The verdict is not the end
      It is only the beginning
      Strong will shall keep spreading
    • Natürlich liegt der Fehler u.a. bei Valve wenn sie den gesamten Dota Kalender auf ein Event auslegen. Was eine Aussage (und btw 1:1 auf die Spieler übertragbar)
      Hat schon seinen Grund warum sie nächstes Jahr das Major System einführen.