Der Metal Thread (HELL YEAH! xD)

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Want to read the full article?
      bis dorthin ganz interessant, Kannst du den gesamten Artikel eventuell in nen Spoiler packen / mir per PN schicken? Kein Bock mich zu registrieren.

Heinrich von Kleist schrieb:

[...] [D]u hast an mir getan, [...] was in Kräften [...] eines Menschen stand, um mich zu retten: Die Wahrheit ist, daß mich auf Erden nicht zu helfen war.
    • Muss man doch auch gar nicht Oo
      Spoiler anzeigen

Metal is defined by its musical and visual tics – but in 2016 it seems they’re strangling the genre into irrelevance. Gama Bomb’s Philly Byrne asks: is it time to ditch our comfort blanket?
      Something is wrong with metal. Look around: in most genres we’ve seen major acts spring up in the last decade and make an impact commercially, culturally, on a global scale. I’m not the first to say it: metal is not making new superstars.
      There’s no new band who’ll turn up in The Simpsons, who’ll break the internet. The biggest metal newsflash in years was the death of Lemmy. As a genre we’re largely stuck in the mud of the past.
      I’ve heard people blame the music industry or piracy for this lack of renewal. I don’t buy it. If we take the launch of Napster in 1999 as a threshold moment, then remember Lady Gaga’s debut came out nine years later, sold almost five million copies and instantly made her a cultural icon, this theory pretty much crumbles. The machine isn’t broken. Stars are still made – and seemingly everywhere but metal.
      If you ask me, we’ve gone all rulesy. Now rulesy isn’t a real word, but it’s still the best one to describe this condition. Let me explain...
      Every metal sub-genre has signifiers. Graphic design, clothing, musical embellishments, album production values, hair, even drink and drugs that are dictated by the stable they spring from. Boardshorts don’t belong alongside swords, y’know?
      These things that once made metal distinct, and distinguished metal from metal, are now fetishised: they’ve gone from expressions of identity to rules that govern every creative aspect of a band. They drive off new converts, stifle fresh ideas and keep the outside perception of metal stagnant.
      The cover art’s the same. The logos are the same. The t-shirts are the same. What hope is there for a new Black Album or Paranoid when we’re all playing the checkbox game?
      I’m not above this, either. My band Gama Bomb pre-existed a MySpace-driven thrash revival, but we rode it halfway around the world nonetheless. Initially we were astonished: we were smalltown worshippers of a dead genre, suddenly with both beer and flattery on tap.
      The fact is, we were writing songs that deliberately referenced every facet of retro thrash – because we were worshipping the old gods so fervently, and doing it with some sense of self-awareness, we found favour when the revival blew up. I wear my cliches with a nerd’s pride, but I also know my band’s place and see the bigger picture.

I know what you’re thinking: I’m a flippant tourist here, yes, but I’ve done my time on the coalface over the last 14 years and I see an industry in crisis. We’re reliant on old, fading bands and young bands who try to clone them.
      Of course there have been success stories. Ghost have broken boundaries by mashing it up, wrapping their sound in a shroud of cultural winks – The Beach Boys meets Hammer horror, Pentagram visiting Daft Punk’s tailor. They remind us that no matter the genre, artists must ignore the rules to break through.
      I think we’re not creating more megastars because we’re obsessed with sameness. You see it in festival posters where every logo looks identical (shouts to Party Cannon on that count), in endless photoshoots in abandoned warehouses, in a sea of d-beats and sweep picking and operatic vocals and syrupy synths.
      Do me a favour: go wherever you keep your t-shirts. Your wardrobe, a drawer, the festering pile of unwashed clothes in the corner of your room that’s slowly gaining sentience. Pretty much all black, aren’t they? Fair enough, you like black. So do I. It’s slimming and it hides bean juice stains. But to survive, metal needs pink t-shirts to be a small deal.
      At best, these rules smother creativity. Taking thrash as an example, it seems classic cover artist Ed Repka has never been busier (nor ever more bored) judging by the volume of covers he’s turning out for up-and-coming bands. Repka’s classic period was about discovery: he hungrily worked with extreme, new bands to bring their fantasies and social critique to life. Now his style is in demand, but the creative force isn’t there to meet him. The man did the amazing cover of Leprosy by Death. Now he has do it over and over again.

At worst, these rules provide a kind of underbrush from which elitists and nutcases can snipe at those perceived transgressors.
      Take Myrkur’s Amalie Bruun, who just this month received so many ‘death threats and hate emails’ she had to lock down her band’s private messages. Her crime: possession of ovaries while playing music dominated by blokes.
      Of course Myrkur are dealing with a fringe of misogynists and creeps, but this backlash was also about Bruun’s disregard for the rules of scando BM. Her look is understated, her melodic style closer to Bjork than Burzum.
      And hey, she didn’t even break them by that much: she wears a lot of black, runs around in forests and in her photos has the faraway look of someone thinking about a dead pet. Seems pretty trve to me, lads.
      There’s great comfort in homogeneity. We feel like we belong because we wear the same clothes, like the same things. There has to be a limit, though. Nobody sent death threats when Paul Simon went reggae, did they?
      And, if you’ll let me rip the plaster off in one go, there’s virtually no metal touchstone that remains beyond farce in broader culture, anyway. Motörhead tees for sale in Top Shop are now a cliche of their own. Zayn Malik is covered in tatts. People throw the devil horns in car insurance ads. My chrome bullet belt is the coolest thing in my wardrobe, but it’s also part of a stockbroker’s ‘Metal Dude’ Halloween costume. Revere it all you like, someone else will be vomiting Tanqueray all over one and leaving it in the back of an Uber on any given Friday: a nice analogy for all the sacred cows of metal.
      It’s down to each of us, in our own small way, to fight this trend toward stagnation. We have to encourage the green shoots that will grow new superstars. Let’s be delighted when Mastodon reference hip hop in their music videos (though being tasteful is another matter). When a pop singer turns up in a Maiden tee, let’s appreciate that kids might discover a classic band.
      To flourish, metal needs to be served with a pinch of salt and a healthy disregard for convention. Remember; Sabbath were obsessed with jazz. For a time, Queen identified as a heavy metal band. Twisted Sister played punk in drag. Happy accidents that ignored the rules.
      What can we do about it? Let’s start by shouting down keyboard warriors who take exception to bands experimenting with their genre rules or, heaven forbid, courting mainstream popularity. Next time a young woman comes along and dares to break the rules in style let’s be there throwing horns, not brickbats.
      till the end
    • ka, bei mir kam oben gesagtes und der Text wurde wie auf Bild+ (le xD) eingegraut mit overlay, dass ich mich registrieren soll :O

[...] [D]u hast an mir getan, [...] was in Kräften [...] eines Menschen stand, um mich zu retten: Die Wahrheit ist, daß mich auf Erden nicht zu helfen war.
    • Hallo ihr Menschen. Ich hab in letzter Zeit ausnahmsweise mal wieder Musik gehört, und irgendwie bin ich dabei beim Metal hängengeblieben.

Zuerst hab ich mal ein bisschen 2015 nachgeholt. Aber nichts, was hier nicht schon mal angesprochen wurde. AOTY war in meinen Augen auf jeden Fall Mgla, gefolgt von Panopticon. Erstaunt hat mich das Enslaved Album weil es so unglaublich catchy ist. Es ist zwar bestimmt fünf Jahre her, dass ich sie mir zuletzt angehört hatte (Axioma Ethica Odini), aber so hatte ich sie definitiv nicht in Erinnerung. Dazu noch diese Blackwater Park Fühls im Titeltrack :love:
      Was man sonst vielleicht nochmal highlighten könnte, ist Akhlys. Nach dem erstaunlich hohen tree Rating hatte ich befürchtet, dass es mir viel zu merkwürdig sein würde. Aber ist doch alles noch im Rahmen und könnte dementsprechend den meisten Leuten hier auch gefallen.

Ausstehend ist jetzt erstmal nur noch Leviathan, dann bin ich glaub ich durch das Wichtigste durch. Und damit kommen wir zum current year. Was hält man so von Entropia und Obscura? Finde beide Alben sehr gut. Entropia klingen zwar so, als hätten sie sich seit ihrem ebenfalls sehr machtvollen Debüt nur noch von Pilzen und Pappen ernährt, aber der neue Stil gefällt mir mindestens genau so gut. Und auch Obscura haben mich überrascht da ich nach dem Weggang von Münzner und Grossmann eigentlich ziemlich pessimistisch ob ihrer Zukunft war. Aber Akroasis gefällt mir wieder richtig gut. Es ist zwar definitiv anders als Cosmogenesis und Omnivium, aber doch nach wie vor klar und deutlich als Obscura-Album zu erkennen. Ich bin auf jeden Fall ein befriedigter Fanboy und werde das Album auf jeden Fall noch einige Male loopen bis das Jahr rum ist.

Ansonsten hab ich mich (unrelatiert) nochmal näher mit dem von @Arashi so angepriesenen Cormorant Debüt beschäftigt und es gefällt mir mittlerweile sehr gut. Für die nächsten Wochen ist jetzt aber erstmal Black Metal geplant. Habe mir heute erstmal die Diskographien von Deathspell Omega und Mgla georgt weil ich Paracletus und Exercises in Futility nach wie vor unnormal feiere.

Abschließend würde ich mir nach wie vor ein paar zusätzliche rym-Accounts von metalhörenden Menschen wünschen. @Yarox ist ja mittlerweile am Start aber dafür ist @irie von uns gegangen und hört jetzt nur noch Young Hurn und Turbostaat :wacko:
    • Habe Akhlys auch die Tage nochmal gehört beim tree-Störbern und mir hats sehr gefallen. Kann es auch recommenden. 2016er releases habe ich mir noch nicht wirklich was gegeben, muss noch ein bisschen 2015 aufarbeiten und dann hört man ja auch sonst immer wieder Alben aus vergangenen Jahren. Auf so viel wie ihr komme ich dann leider doch nicht :D

Mgla Disko steht auch noch an, ist auch schon alles auf Pladde. DSO habe ich ja mittlerweile hier 4 CDs liegen weil ich die Trilogie einfach unnormal feiere (vor allem Si... und Paracletus).

2016 bisher nur Abbath gehört - aber glaube es noch nicht gerated zu haben. Werde es mir wohl nochmal anhören müssen, aber fands glaube ich nicht so bombastisch..

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von Yarox ()

• @roflgrins Entropia sagt mir nichts, aber das neue Obscura ist ziemlich stark imo. Ansonsten lohnen sich aus diesem Jahr noch Winter Thrice von Borknagar und Seraphical Euphony von Hyperion (name your price). Das neue Album von Omnium Gatherum ist leider eher meh, aber 2016 sollte trotzdem ein gutes Jahr für mdm werden, da sowohl Be'lakor als auch In Mourning neue Alben releasen.
    • habe nachdem ich das gelesen habe vor zwei wochen ebenfalls blut geleckt und auch mal einen black metal-tag gemacht aka vieles in der richtung angehört. was ich geschafft habe war:

leviathan - scar sighted
      leviathan - massive conspiracy against all life
      deathspell omega - paracletus
      erraunt - the portent
      lychgate - an antidote for the glass pill
      nightbringer - ego dominus tuus
      krallice - ygg huur
      midnight odyssey - shards of silver fate
      akhlys - the dreaming I
      thantifaxath - sacred white noise
      marduk - frontschwein
      downfall of nur - umbras de barbagia
      enslaved - in times
      ghost bath - moonlover
      panopticon - autumn eternal
      und
      ethereal shroud - they became the falling ash

meine top 3 davon sind:

1. akhlys
      2. panopticon
      3. downfall of nur

danke fürs anfixen @all :)
      MfG

"You wanted life
      - I showed you love."
      Seraphs Post-Hardcore/Emo/Screamo/Metalcore/Deathcore - Thread (Hell YELL!)
      ---

Boo^ schrieb:

Seraph. Connecting people.
    • Be'Lakor geben einen Teaser zu einem Song ihres neuen Albums.

Was sagt ihr dazu?
      Mir gefällts gut, erinnert eher an die ersten Alben imho. Höre ja mittlerweile nicht mehr so viel mdm, aber Be'Lakor lasse ich mir dieses Jahr sicher nicht entgehen :)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Yarox ()

• Zu Be'Lakor zu einer meiner Lieblingsbands geworden, werde ich mir auch definitiv geben.

Wollte mal hier los werden, dass Novembre seit 01.04.16 ihr Album Ursa veröffentlicht haben, was ich sehr ins Herz geschlossen habe, läuft gerne seine spotify runden

Review von metal.de

Auch kam vor kurzem (25.3) das Album Jomsviking von Amon Amarth raus, welches mich nicht so gefesselt hat wie Novembre, aber solide ist.

Musik Video : Amon Amarh - First Kill

Review von metal.de Amon Armarh

LG
    • Ich pack es einfach mal hier rein und sage es ist "Progressive Metal"

Haken´s neues Album "Affinity" ist ab heute im Handel erhältlich

weiß nicht was ich davon halten soll, zum einen mal was anderes, leider aber auch stellenweise bisschen zu kitischig.
    • Benutzer online 3

3 Besucher